A lever belt is a training accessory primarily used in strength training. It is designed to provide extra support and stability to your back and abdominal muscles during heavy lifts. The lever belt is a common tool in powerlifting and strongman, where it is used to increase performance and reduce the risk of injury. But what makes a lever belt so special, and how do you use it properly? Let's take a look.
What is a lever belt?
A lever belt is a sturdy and rigid belt that is pulled around the waist and fastened with a lever-type buckle. It is usually made of leather and is between 10 and 13 cm wide. A lever belt is designed to provide extra support to the abdominal muscles and spine during heavy lifts by increasing intra-abdominal pressure. When you breathe deeply and tighten your abdominal muscles, the lever belt presses against your abdomen and provides extra stability to your core muscles.
What is special about a lever belt?
What is special about a lever belt is its design and mechanism for providing extra support and stability during heavy lifts. Unlike other types of training belts, which are typically designed as a regular belt and fastened with a regular buckle, the lever belt has a quick-release buckle (lever-type buckle), which allows it to sit extra tightly around the waist and provide more support to the abdominal muscles and spine. When you tighten the lever on the lever belt, it presses the belt against your abdomen and creates a higher intra-abdominal pressure, which provides extra stability during heavy lifts. The lever-type buckle also makes it very easy to tighten the belt and just as easy to release the tension. This makes the lever belt a popular choice among strength trainers who want to increase their performance and reduce the risk of injury.
How do you adjust a lever belt?
Adjusting a lever belt is important to ensure that it provides the right support and stability during training. The first time you use a lever belt, you need to assemble the belt and buckle. You can do this easily with a star screwdriver (PH2 is preferred). Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Pull the belt around yourself, without the buckle, where it should sit during training. When you have pulled the belt around yourself, you can see which two holes are visible, closest to the center. You will mount the buckle in these two holes.
- Place the belt with the back facing up (blue leather up) and place the metal plate against the belt, against the two holes you just saw.
- Insert the screws through the plate and the belt.
- Tighten the screws to the buckle. Check that the logo on the buckle is facing the same way as the logo on the back of the belt, so that the buckle is not upside down.
- Put on the belt and feel it. Sometimes you may need to adjust the buckle one or two times to get it perfect.
How to use a lever belt?
To use a lever belt correctly, you should follow these steps:
- Adjust the belt to the correct size. The lever belt should fit snugly around your waist without being too tight or uncomfortable.
- Place the belt in the right position. The belt should be positioned above the hip bones and below the lower ribs, where the abdominal muscles are most active.
- Tighten the belt with the lever buckle. Pull the lever to tighten the belt snugly against your stomach.
- Breathe deeply and engage your abdominal muscles. When you inhale, fill your belly with air and push out against the belt. Then, engage your abdominal muscles to increase the pressure against the belt and increase stability.
- Perform the exercises. When training with a lever belt, it is important to continue breathing deeply and engaging your abdominal muscles throughout the exercise.
What are the benefits of a lever belt?
Using a lever belt can have several benefits for strength trainers, including:
- Increased stability: The lever belt provides extra support to the abdominal muscles and spine, reducing the risk of injury and increasing stability during heavy lifts.
- Quick-release buckle: The lever buckle allows you to quickly and easily tighten the belt before a lift and then quickly release the tension after a lift.
- Improved performance: By increasing intra-abdominal pressure, a lever belt can help you lift heavier weights.
- Better technique: By increasing stability, you can focus more on your technique and perform exercises in a safer and more effective way.
A lever belt can be an invaluable training accessory for strength trainers looking to improve their performance and reduce the risk of injury. By increasing stability in the abdominal muscles and spine, you can lift heavier weights and focus more on technique. But it is important to use a lever belt correctly, by adjusting it to the correct size and position, as well as breathing deeply and engaging your abdominal muscles throughout the exercise. If you are unsure how to use a lever belt, you are always welcome to contact us. Good luck with your training! You can find our high-quality lever belt in many different sizes and with different buckles here.